Ready to rumble? Alison Brie’s new wrestling-based Netflix series, GLOW, drops tomorrow and looks pretty badass. She and her co-stars reportedly trained to do dangerous slams, headlocks, leaps and falls for two months before shooting began on the series, a fictionalized take on the gaudy, real-life women’s pro wrestling TV show that first aired in the late 1980s. Brie plays Ruth Wilder, an underemployed LA actress who joins the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling for much-needed paychecks. And here are some things you might not know about the body-bashing babe…
1. She’s a Cali girl through and through: Brie was born and raised in Hollywood, California.
2. She’s a former clown: Brie graduated from the California Institute of the Arts in 2005. She also studied at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow. Then she worked local theater and as a clown at birthday parties… as one does.
3. She’s probably good friends with Miley Cyrus: One of Brie’s first television roles was as Nina, a novice hairdresser, on Hannah Montana.
4. She simultaneously made her breaks in both drama and comedy: Brie won critical and popular acclaim for her roles as Trudy Campbell in Mad Men (2007 to 2015) and Annie Edison in Community (2009 to 2015).
5. She’s done movies too: Highlights include Scream 4, The Lego Movie, Sleeping With Other People and Get Hard.
6. She’s duly recognized as “hot”: Brie cracked Maxim‘s 2010 Hot 100 list at number 99, rising to 49 in 2011. FHM readers voted her the 57th sexiest woman in 2013, and AskMen fans recognized her as the second-most desirable woman in 2014.
7. Like her GLOW character, Brie didn’t have prior wrestling experience: She had to learn techniques from scratch in order to take on the role. She trained at a facility next to the show’s LA set, and was coached by pro-wrestler Chavo Guerrero Jr, and stunt coordinator Shauna Duggins, who was a stunt double for Jennifer Garner on Alias.
8. She’s a happily married woman: Brie started dating actor Dave Franco in 2012. You know, James Franco’s brother. On August 25th, 2015, it was reported the two were engaged, and they got married in March 2017. Damn.